We’ve just released a new version of BBM today that adds more sharing options and services that continue to make the messaging platform more valuable than ever. This release includes:
- Sharing photos to Feeds
- Sharing videos in Feeds via channel posts
- New BBM Game Center in Discover menu (Indonesia)
- BBM Pulsa/PLN in Discover menu (Indonesia)
- BBM Voucher in Discover menu (Indonesia)
- Airtime Nigeria in Discover menu (Nigeria)
- User experience enhancements
Sharing high quality photos to Feeds
Starting today, you can share photos to your feed! Previous versions of BBM only added text-based updates and posts to your feed. With the new version, you can now take high quality photos and upload to feeds directly to share with your contacts. You no longer need to update your avatar image to showcase your pictures.
To start sharing your photos, update your BBM:
- Go to your Feed
- Tap on the photo icon
- Give BBM permission to access your phone’s camera, then select a photo, crop it, add a caption, and share!
Video in Feeds via Channel posts
Also new today, you’ll see video in Feeds. Only BBM Channel owners can post video, but everyone can see them. Just click play and you can watch in full screen or in-feed.
To upload video as a BBM Channel owner:
- Login to the Channel Management Console (CMC)
- Copy/paste link of a video already uploaded to Vidio.com
- Edit title or description then post
BBM Game Center in Discover menu
As we’ve recently announced, we’ve partnered with Korean game publisher NEOWIZ GAMES Corp. to bring the BBM Game Center to our 60 million active users in Indonesia. On 1 November 2016, it’ll be live with the new game Fruits Mania: Elly’s travel with BBM. Everyone can play for free; Android users can even compete with their friends!
We’ll be releasing many more free-to-play games between now and December. Be sure to check out the Fruit Mania game on the 1st, and then check back here or in your BBM for more new titles over the next few weeks.
BBM Pulsa/PLN in Discover menu
Available since early October, Indonesians can also purchase Pulsa airtime top-up credits, pay PLN electricity bills, BPJS (the public agency that administers the Indonesian social security programs) and selected finance bills all within BBM.
BBM Voucher in Discover menu
Another first in BBM is our new Voucher service. Launched on October 20, Indonesians can tap this new icon on their Discover menu to easily purchase and redeem vouchers from an array of dining, entertainment and grocery deals through BBM. What’s more, as the electronic vouchers are stored within the BBM Voucher shop, users will never face the problem of losing or leaving their physical vouchers at home!
Airtime Nigeria in Discover menu
Users in Nigeria can now top up their mobile airtime from within BBM. Find the new Airtime icon on the Discover menu. You can buy airtime for yourself or as a gift for someone else. Pay with a simple bank transfer.
Powered by the new BBM Checkout
Airtime and Voucher, like BBM Pulsa/PLN that launched a couple weeks ago, is powered by the new BBM Checkout, which forms the core of BBM’s payment system. Built into BBM, this service allows you to make payments and purchases seamlessly inside BBM by securely storing your credit card or bank transfer information, plus your shipping details the first time you use it. Then, you never have to enter the information again! Just tap to pay, and BBM Checkout will use the information on file, making it a fast, easy, seamless and convenient way to pay for transactions on-the-go.
We have lots more in store for BBM Checkout. Stay tuned for more announcements in the coming weeks!
User experience enhancements
We’re also rolling out some improvements to the BBM interface.
- Contacts will now display in a list layout by default, instead of a grid. (If you prefer the grid, you can always switch back in Settings.)
- Scan Barcode is now an option in the main menu, allowing you to take a photo of barcodes and QR codes.
- Channels icon in Discover menu gives you another way to access your Channels.
- 25-second default for timed messages saves you one more decision when sending one, and gives your recipients ample time to read or view most messages. (You can still chose to give them 1, 3, 5, 10 or 60 seconds.)
- Multiple person chats and Groups now require names, to help keep you sorted, and ensure you send the right messages to the right people.
All these new features come hot on the heels of the news and video content, plus no-fee Pulsa airtime top-up and other payments we recently added. They join the many other features and subscriptions we’ve developed and improvements we’ve made over the last couple of years in our effort to make BBM your number-one app, your home base, your entry point to the mobile ecosystem. And we’re just barely getting started.